Our office has been using CloSYS brand toothpastes and mouthwashes for more than 10 years, and we are convinced they are the best products of this type available. We confidently recommend them to our patients and give them mini-samples to take home after their dental treatment.
The CloSYS line, created by a periodontist, is limited to five products: two oral rinses, including one for people over 55; two toothpastes, with and without fluoride; and a mouth spray. The company’s website, www.closys.com, explains nearly everything you need to know about these products, and our experience is that the information can be trusted.
Here’s what we like about CloSYS:
- CloSYS products contain Cloralstan. This patented antimicrobial kills 99% of the bacteria that cause plaque and bad breath without harming the bacteria that are important for your digestion and a healthy mouth.
- The oral rinses are gentle on your mouth. The CloSYS mouthwashes don’t contain alcohol, as many others do. Alcohol can leave burning sensations on the gums and cheeks and worsen some conditions such as dry mouth. CloSYS rinses reduce plaque and balance pH without harming or irritating the mouth tissue.
- The products don’t contain sodium laurel sulfate or triclosan. Users like SLS because it creates foam, but sulfates can cause allergies and ulcers, and decrease the tooth’s absorption of fluoride. The Federal Drug Administration ruled in 2016 that triclosan may not be safe for the environment and the chemical will no longer be used after September 2017.
- CloSYS products have a very low abrasive effect, which helps protect your tooth enamel.
- CloSYS toothpastes give you a fluoride-free option. Not everyone needs or should use a fluoride toothpaste.
- CloSYS products are endorsed by the American Dental Association. ADA approval is based on years of testing and research, and is a significant recommendation.
- CloSYS products are sold in most pharmacies and online. No prescription is needed and the items are comparably priced to other oral health products.
When you are shopping for toothpaste and mouthwash, our office suggests you give CloSYS products a try. There’s always room for improvement in dental care – and we think these products have achieved it.
As effective as CloSYS products are, however, they are only one element of your dental care routine. It is still necessary to floss every day and brush at least twice a day – and don’t forget to brush your tongue as well. Be sure, especially, to continue your twice-yearly dental checkups and cleanings.